Mizell Cemetery The gardens are owned by the City of Orlando and are comprised of almost 50 acres of botanical gardens, an historic home (the Mizell-Leu House Museum) as well as the small Mizell Family Cemetery. The Mizell family, who were early settlers in the Orlando area, once owned the land. The Cemetery approximately measures 25 by 40 feet, and is made up of some 36 graves, marked and unmarked. It is believed that all of interments are Mizell family members. There are only 11 gravestones with any information on them. In talking with the historians at Leu Gardens, one finds that there is little information as to who else from the Mizell family is buried here.
The Mizells moved to the Orlando area around 1858. David Mizell purchased land on the south shore of Lake Rowena and started his homestead. He served in the military during the Third Seminole War and later, during the Civil War. In 1868 he was made Sheriff of Orange County during Reconstruction. He was ambushed and killed by members of the Barber Family in 1870. His family continued to live on the property and in 1888 his son built the first part of the house that still stands there today.
On the south side of the site there is a monument with the following inscription:
In memory of
Pioneer settlers DAVID MIZELL (1833-1870), Orange County Sheriff;
Wife, ANGELINE AUGUSTA MAY (1837-1911), and their seven children:
MARY FRANCES m. W.R. SPEIR
SARAH ANN m. DAVID RUSSELL
WILLIAM DAVID m. MARY E. ARNOLD
LULA AMANDA m. HUMPHREY THOMAS ARNOLD
JOHN THOMAS m. JESSIE RODGERS
JOSHUA MONTGOMERY m. JOSEPHINE BYRD
DELLA BELL m. WILLIAM COLLIER HARPER
Sheriff Mizell was killed from ambush near Holopaw in the line of duty. His
burial here by moonlight was first Masonic funeral service in Central Florida,
the brethren coming from Apopka Lodge to conduct the rites. His grave began
small family cemetery which today holes 36 members in marked and unmarked
graves, including family plot of Ardie B. Russell, grandson of David and
Angeline Mizell.

Erected courtesy, Robert G. Neel, Woodlawn
Memorial Park.