Ft. Cooper



On April 2, 1836 Major Mark Anthony Cooper built a block house on a bluff overlooking Holathlikaha Lake while under attack from the Indians. A Fort was established and later abandoned. In 1900 there were sixty-nine inhabitants of which twenty-one were black. Some of the families calling Ft. Cooper home were; the James Hampton, the Steven F. Cason (Florida Pioneer) and the Gills Rutherford families. Included was William W. Hiller, an overseer of convicts and William Smith, a day laborer at the turpentine still.








This Page Created January 30, 2011
Copyrighted 2011-  Linda Flowers
Return to: Archives     Return to: FLGW      Return to: Citrus Home
Graphics