Fairmount



Fairmount was settled in 1885. In 1886 there were seventy-five inhabitants, and by1900 there were two hundred. It was mostly orange groves, but there was a post office, church, sawmill, blacksmith shop, hotel, general store and turpentine mill. Some of the people who called Fairmount home were; Joseph D. Bennett and his wife who was a public school teacher, as was their daughter Ada. Mr. Bennett's sister-in-law was the postmaster.The John Hart and William C. Henrick families were farming and William Knight was manager of the turpentine mill. Most of the people  were working at the still, which was also using convict labor. Today nothing remains of Fairmount, which was located on SR 44 and 488 under the present site of the Meadowcrest Industrial Spark.



This Page Created January 30, 2011
Copyrighted 2011-  Linda Flowers
Return to: Archives     Return to: FLGW      Return to: Citrus Home
Graphics