These files have been submitted for personal use and may not be changed or used for any for-profit cause. The copyright belongs to the submitter/author of these files. If you have files or information you would like to submit, e-mail us. We can most definitely use them (and so can someone else!) The more records we are able to get on-line, the easier the research will be for all of us.
Please visit us frequently as this is a works in progress.
By Anna Paget Wells (used with permission of publisher Sue Cronkite) from the book "Heart and History of Holmes County". This book is chock full of pictures and what has been used within this web site is only a small amount of the book. It can still be ordered from Sue Cronkite or from the Holmes County Advertiser, 112 E Virginia Avenue, Bonifay FL 32425; phone 850-547-2270; fax 850-547-9200
It is hard to fix just who the first settlers were in a community, but the name sometimes gives us a clue. The town was originally called Hutto, but was renamed to honor a man known as "Old Man Esto". Old Man Esto had arrived even before the railroad was built. The respect for this man must have been very high since there is no record of any great accomplishment of historic importance credited to him.
Estoís first post office was established Sep 22, 1898. The first postmaster was Albert S Johnson. The post office was discontinued on Jan 31, 1958, and mail was sent to Bonifay.
The L&N Railroad passed through Esto and on the south side Highway 2 and Highway 79 intersect. These advantages have helped to bring some new growth to Esto. The northern edge of Esto borders on Alabama. Noma is her neighbor to the east.
Esto has a Church of Christ and a Baptist Church, a Community Park, Colonial Industries Sewing Factory, Lambís Salvage Yard, a meat processing plant, a Farm Center, and a 7-11 Store.
There was a school in Esto, but it was discontinued in the days of consolidation.
RETURN TO HOLMES COUNTY HOME PAGE
This page was lasted updated on 17 June, 2002 08:42 PM