HISTORY: Clay County, named for Henry Clay, officially came into existence from part of Duval County on December 31, 1858. However, the area had been inhabited for thousands of years. Various Indian cultures, dating back to at least 5,000 B.C., lived and thrived on the banks of the St. Johns River. Europeans discovered the area as early as 1562.
Clay County is the home of Camp Blanding Army Reserve Training Center. The Gold Head Branch Florida State Park is also located here. The county seat is Green Cove Springs. Other towns in Clay County are Orange Park, Middleburg, Penny Farms and Keystone Heights. Major communities include Doctors Inlet, Clay Hill, Lake Geneva, and Maxville.
The Clay Country Courthouse
was built in 1889 having been housed in various places during the 41
years of the counties existence.