Dixie County Gen Web

 Early Dixie Churches






Early Dixie Churches
From WPA Church Records

Assembly of God at Old Town, 1939--, Old Town, Dixie County.
Constituted July 1939, sponsored by Assembly of God Church, Cross City. Services in tent, present site, until an unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, wood structure erected in 1939.
First settled, and only pastor, Rev. E. M. Ready 1939--, Shamrock.



Baptist Purity Church, (White) 1936--, 2 blocks south of Highway 19, near Barber Filling Station, Cross City, Dixie County.

Constituted 1936 from members of Holiness Baptist Church, Shamrock, Florida.  Services in frame building in Elliot quarters until present unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame building, erected and dedicated 1939.
First settled and only pastor, Rev. Luther Turner, 1936--, Cross City. 
SNAP-IT MEMO(ROLL AND FINANCIAL RECORD), 1936--, 1 vol. Showing reports, membership roll, collections, financial reports. Custody of clerk, Larson King, Cross City.



[handwritten note: (Churches of Christ)
Church of Christ, 1926--, Cross City, Dixie County
Constituted 1926,  Services in a white, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, frame building erected and dedicated 1926, remodeled and additions 1930.
First settled pastor, Elder M. H. Slaughter, 1928-1934. Education unknown.  Present pastor, Rev. Cleve Moore, 1937--, Trenton.
REGISTER, 1926--, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, and baptisms.  Custody of treasurer, L.L. Barber, Cross City
LEDGER (Financial Record), 1926--, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, L. L. Barber, see supra.



[handwritten note: (Church of God) - also typo: replaced 2 e's with 2 o's in Horseshoe]
Church of God at Horseshoe, 1931--, Horseshoe, Dixie County.
Constituted 1931.  Services in homes and school house until an unpainted, rectangular, frame building erected and dedicated 1932.
First settled pastor, Rev. Croom Culpepper, 1931-1932. Education unknown.  Present pastor, Rev. E. L. Hicks, 1938--, Wilcox.
LEDGER, c1936--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of the church congregation; receipts and disbursements, totals of all quarterly receipts and disbursements; roll of members, Custody, church clerk, Amy Buchannon, Horseshoe.
MODEL RECORD, 1936--, 2 vols. Title varies: (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), 1936-39, 1 vol. Showing record of attendances, receipts, average attendance and receipts, disbursements to general fund; roll of members, Custody, Sunday School secretary, Alma Locklies, Horseshoe.



[handwritten note (Negro)]
Church of God in Christ, 1937--, Hines, Dixie County.
Constituted 1937.  Services in a brown, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame community and school building erected 1932.
First settled, and ony pastor, REv. Jesse Williams, 1937--, Perry.
DAY BOOK, 1938--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of conference and business meetings, membership roll; receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Dollie Smith, Hines.



[handwritten note: (Negro)]
Church of God In Christ, 1939--, Shamrock, Dixie County.
Constituted, July 1939. Services in homes until an unpainted, rectangular, wooden store building held first services 1939.
First settled, and only pastor, Rev. Henry Williams, 1939--, Putnam Quarters, Cross City.



[handwritten note: (Negro)]
Church of God in Unity, 1933--, Hines, Dixie County
Constituted 1933.  Services in small building, present site, until a brown rectangular, Meeting-house type, wood building, erected in 1932, held first services 1933.
First settled pastor, Rev. W. F. Williams, 1933-1935. Common school education. Present pastor, Rev. Ruth Cooper, 1938--, Shamrock
LEDGER, (Church Record), 1938--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of business meetings, membership roll, receipts and disbursements, Custody of Lucy McCaine, Hines.



Fellowship Baptist Church    (White), 1887-c1920.  Defunct.  12 miles southwest Cross City in Butler settlement, Dixie County.

Constituted 1887.  Services held in log house about 7 miles from coast, until 1895, when unpainted, rectangular frame building was erected 1895.
First settled pastor, Rev. J. K. Sheffield, 1887 to date unknown. Last pastor, Rev. D. W. Butler, c1917-1920, deceased.



First Baptist Church (White), 1887--, (Lydia Baptist Church, 1887-November 1921) Highway 19, between Cross City and Shamrock, Dixie County.   

Constituted 1887. From 1878-87, services were held occasionally in the school house by Rev. D. W. Ward; 1887-1900, in log house on U.S.1and, 2 miles northwest of Cross City; 1887-1908 in Cason home; 1908-28, in house 2 blocks south of Highway 19.  A concrete block building, with Sunday School rooms was erected 1828-38; this building destroyed by fire 1938.  Services were then held in the county court house while the new unpainted,  cruciform, Meeting-house type, brick veneer building was erected 1939.  Present membership, 352.  Active orgaizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, Woman's Missionary Union with 6 auxiliaries, Brotherhood.  First settled pastor, Rev. J. K. Sheffield, 1887-1888. Present pastor, Rev. M. C. Gardner, 1936--, Cross City; University of Florida, Gainesville.

PERFECT CHURCH RECORD, 1918-1927, 1 vol. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, ,1927-1934, 1 vol.
I.P. LOOSE LEAF (CHURCH RECORD, 1936--, 1 vol.  Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, reports, baptisms, deaths, receipts amd dosbirse,emts/ Cistpdu pf ex-clerk, S. R. Langston, with whom clerk A. Copeland, rooms, Cross City.
IMPROVED SIX POINT CLASS BOOK (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS) October 1938--, 9 vols. Showing membership roll, teachers and six points of excellence.  Located in County Court House (Court Room) where services are being temporarily held, after loss of church by fire, 1938.
THE CRUSADER COMPOSITION BOOK(W.M.U. RECORD), 1937-38, 1 vol.  MINTUES OF CROSS CITY, W.M.S., 1938-39, 1 Loose Leaf vol.  W.M.U. AIARLINE, 1939--, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, minutes of meetings, officers, receipts and disbursements. Vols. 102, custody of Mrs. J.S. Gunter, Corss City, Vol. 3, custody of Mrs. Geo. Bodiford, Cross City.
BAPTIST TRAINING UNION GENERAL SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK, 1937--1  vol. Showing membership roll, officers, collections and disbursements.
  



First Baptist Church of Cross City (African-American), 1928--, Cross City, Dixie County
Constituted 1928,  Services in dwelling, near depot, a short time until burned, then home of R. W. Bradley, same location, until 1931, brush arbor until 1932, then small building next to present site, until an unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame structure, with bell, erected and dedicated 1936.
First settled pastor, Rev. W. M. Harris, 1928-1930.  Common school education. Present pastor, Rev. F. W. Williams, 1937--, Branford: Edward Waters College, Jacksonville.  See, "History of First Baptist, Cross City," 1928-1939, by S. A. Bradley, 1939, custody of author, Cross city.
(CHURCH RECORDS), 1933-34, 1 vol. Showing minutes of all business meetings, membership roll, baptisms, deaths; receipts and disbursements. Custody of Gussie Lewis, Cross Ctiy.
LEDGER, 1937-- 3 vols. Showing detailed minutes of church services and conferences. 1937- Jan 1939., 1 vol., shows records of finances. Custody of Carl King, Shamrock.
(SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), 1938--, 1 vol. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, collections. Custody of superintendent,  S. Brown, Cross City.
RECORD AND ROLL BOOK FOR BAPTIST  YOUNG PEOPLE UNION" 1938--1  vol. Showing members, officers, attendance, collection. Custody of secretary, Beatrice Foster, Cross City.



Greater St. Paul A. M. E. Church, (African-American), 1922--, (St. Paul A. M. E. Church, 1922-1930, Church St., Shamrock, Dixie County.
Constituted 1922.  First services in small building, Putnam Mill quarters, and also used by Baptists, until present white, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, wooden building, with belfry and pipe organ donated by Mr. W. J. Fleishel, erected and dedicated 1930.
First settled pastor, Rev. L. Dickerson, 1922-1923. Florida Memorial College, Live Oak.  Present pastor, Rev. R. H. Mobley, 1940--, Shamrock; Edward Waters College, Jacksonville.
LEDGER (Church Records), 1933--, 1 vol. Showing records of official board and quarterly conference meetings; reports of pastors, stewards, trustees; baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Jesse May Caines, Shamrock.
LEDGER (Financial Record), 1933--, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, Jesse May Caine, see supra.
(CHURCH CONFERENCES RECORD AND REGISTER), 1940--, 1 vol. Showing class leaders, copies of financial statements, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, Custody of pastor, Rev. R. H. Mobley,
(SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), 1939--, 1 vol. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, collections and disbursements.  Custody of clerk, Jesse Mae Caine, see supra.


 
[handwritten note added- (Negro- NBCof USA Inc.
Hines Chapel Baptist Church, (African-American) 1023--. Hines, Dixie County.
Constituted 1923.  Services in small, wooden building, present site, until a brown, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame community structure erected and dedicated 1932. 
First settled pastor, Rev. W. F. Williams, 1923-1925. Common school education.  Present pastor, Rev. E. L Robinson, 1932-1937, 1939--, Perry.
LEDGER (Hines Chapel Record), 1923-36; 1937--, 2 vols. Showing minutes of all conference and business meetings, membership roll; receipts and disbursements, Custody of Willie Day, Hines
BOYD'S NATIONAL BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL MINUTES, ROLL AND RECORD BOOK, 1939--, 1 vol. Showing pupils teachers, officers, attendance, collections and disbursements.  Custody of secretary, Annie May Days, Hines.


Holiness Baptist Church (White) 1929-35. Defunct. Putnam Lumber Company quarters, Shamrock, Dixie County.
Constituted 1929, sponsored by Holiness Baptist Church, Arabi, Georgia.  Services in unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, frame building erected and dedicated 1929, on property loaned by Putnam Lumber Company. 
First settled and onlyh pastor, Rev. Luther Turner, 1929-35, Cross City.


Lydia Baptist Church, January 3, 1932--. 2 miles northwest Cross City, Fishbone Creek section, Dixie County.
Constituted January 3, 1932, by members of First Baptist Church, Cross City, and Stevensville Baptist Church.  Services in unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame building, erected 1932 on land furnished by Putnam Lumber Company and used for both church and school.  Quarter time church meeting on 2nd Sunday. Present membership 56.  Active organization, Sunday School.  First settled pastor, Rev. G. W. Sparks, 1932-date unknown. Present pastor, Rev. I. L. Barber, 1938--, Mayo.
S. E. LEDGER (Record Book of Lydia Baptist Church, 1932-37, 1 vol. RECORD, 1937-- 1 vol Showing minutes of meetings, reports, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements.
Custody of clerk, Mrs. Bertie Valentine, Cross City (Fish Bone Creek Section).


Magnolia A. M. E. Church, c1904--,(African-American),  On trail 2 miles south of Old Town, Blackjack Ridge, Dixie County.
Constituted c1904, by members of New Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, now Pickens Temple.  First services in brush arbor, 100 yards north of present site, then boxed house, mile east of present site, until burned and present, unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, wooden building erected 1937.
First settled pastor, Rev. Isaac Bell, 1904-1905.  Education unknown.  Present pastor, Rev. Eugene Fisher, 1939--. Live Oak; Edward Waters College, Jacksonville.
BLUE HORSE NOTE BOOK (Church Record), 1936--, 2 vols. (Tablets), Showing minutes of quarterly conference and business meetings, reports of pastors, stewards, trustees; receipts and disbursements,; membership roll.  Custody of secretary, Inez Gardner, Old Town.



Mt. Olive Baptist Church (White), Sept 29, 1903-1919, 1926--, 2 miles southeast of Steinhatchee. Dixie County.
Constituted September 20, 1903. Services in frame building at Jena, 1903-19, 2 miles south of present unpainted square, stone school building, erected c1926 and located in woodland, well off traveled roads.  Present membership, 35. Quarter time church meeting every 4th Sunday. First settled pastor, Rev. T. M. Webb, 1903-04. Present pastor, Rev. Joseph Bell, 1957--, Steinhatchee.
CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD CHURCH BOOK OF MT. OLVIE, 1903-1906; 1914-1919; 1926--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, reports, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of custodian, Mary Petroff, % Columbus Gauss, Steinhatchee.


McCrabb Baptist Church (White) , 1881-1885, 1894-1922, 1930-- Rural, 1 miles east of Branford Road, Dixie County.
Constituted 1881. Services in school building, 1 miles west of present location 1881-1885, 1894-1922.  Reorganized 1930, services in white, rectangular, Meeting house type, frame building, formerly used for school, date of erection unknown. A quarter time church meeting 1st Sunday.  Present membership, 55. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's missionary Union with 2 auxiliaries. First settled pastor, Rev. W. J. Martin, 1881-c1885. Present pastor, REv. H. H. Thompson, 1939--, Shamrock, Fla.
CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD, 1906-1919. 1 vol. CHURCH RECORD, 1930--, 1 vol Showing minutes of meetings, reports, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Vol 1 in custody of clerk, Mr. C.C. Dees, Old Town, FLA Vol.2 in custody of clerk Mr. Willie Hill, Cross City, Fla.
(SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), 1938-1939, 1 vol. CLASS RECORD (SUNDAY SCHOOL), 1939--, 1 vol. Showing memberhip roll, teachers, officers, collections, reports and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Mrs. C.C. Dees, Old Town, Fla.


Mingo Baptist Church (White) c1904-c1928. (Shaw Springs) Defunct. 15 miles northwest Cross City, west side Road 19, Steinhatchee River, Dixie County.
Constituted c1904. Services in log house until present unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type building erected (date unknown). First services here 1920. First settled pastor, Rev. Frank Ward, c1904-1905. Last pastor, Rev. Dave Henderson, 1928--.


[handwritten note (Negro- NBC of USA Inc]
New Bethel Baptist Church, 1937--, 2 miles southwest of Fletcher, Ward Turpentine Camp, #27, Dixie County.
Constituted 1937.  Services in an unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, wood building, erected and dedicated 1937, on site and with materials donated by turpentine company.
First settled pastor, Rev. W.Robinson, 1937. Common school education.  Present pastor, Rev. I.A. Allen, 1938--, Chiefland.
(CHURCH RECORD), 1938--, 1 bundle of loose leaves. Showing minutes of conference and all business meetings, membership roll, baptisms, deaths; receipts and disbursements. Costody of secretary, Cora Lee Anderson, Fletcher.


New Prospect Baptist Church (White) , 1900--, 1/8 mile south Road 19, adjoining Summerville School, 6 miles east of Cross City, Dixie County.
Constituted 1900.  First services in Summerville log school house c1870-1896; at another school house 2 mils south which blew down in 1896.  Organized under brush arbor and held services until present unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame structure, erected 1900.  Remodelled and additions made in 1938.  Present membership, 84. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's Missionary Union with 2 auxiliaries.  First settled pastor, Rev. T. M. Webb, 1900-17. Present pastor, Rev. Jos. Bell 1940--, Steinhatchee.
CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD,    January 1905-19, 1921-23,  1 vol CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, 1924-34; 1934--, 2 vols. Showing minutes of church conferences, reports, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. .Custory of clerk, Mr. J. I Taylor, Cross City
IMPROVED SIX POINT DEPARTMENT RECORD FOR SUNDAY SCHOOL SECRETARY, 1938--, 1 vol. Showing members, officers, collections, disbursements and reports. Custody of secretary, Mr. Clealen Curry, Cross City.
BLUE HORSE NOTE BOOK (Woman's Missionary Union), February  1938--, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, officers, minutes of meetings, receipts and disbursements.  Custody of secretary, Mr. Clealen Curry, see supra.


Old Town Methodist Episcopal Church, c1870--, Old Town, Dixie County.
Constituted c 1870.First services, until c1897, in log school and church, Blackjack Ridge 2 miles south of Road #19, then a frame building. 1 mile southeast of the presnt location, until a gray, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, frame building, with belfry , erected and dedicated, 1933.  Present membership 22.
First settled pastor Rev. R. M. Sanders, 1900-September, 1900. Education unknown. Present pastor, Rev. E. C. Wilson, June, 1939--, Cross City; Millikin University, Decatur, Illinois, Southern College Lakeland.
QUARTERLY CONFERENCE RECORD, 1905-09, 1923-29 1-20-1933; 1934--, 4 vols. Showing dates of conference meetings, minutes of business meetings, reports of pastors, and officers; receipts and disbursements. Custody of pastor, Rev. R. C. Wilson, see supra.
CHURCH REGISTER, 1900--, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, baptisms, deaths, Custody of pastor, Rev. E. C. Wilson, see supra.


[handwritten note (Colored ME Ch)
Pickens Temple Methodist Church, c1850--, (New Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, c1850-1936), Old Town, Dixie County.
Constituted c 1850, First services in a log house, in hammock at Bear Pond, 2 miles northwest of Old Town, until 1867, then boxed house, Blackjack Ridge, 3 miles south of town, until 1890, then boxed house, 1 mile south of cemetery until a white, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, frame building erected and dedicated 1936.
Earliest known pastor, Rev. Isaac Johnson, c 1867-1878.  Education unknown. Present pastor, Rev. Louis G. Scott, January, 1938--, Cedar Keys
JOURNAL (Church Record), 1936--, 2 vols.  Showing minutes of all business meetings, quarterly reports, membership rolls, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Carrie Cambridge Clark, Old Town.
JOURNAL (Sunday Schooll Record), 19369--, 1 vol. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, collections.  Custody of secretary, Carrie Cambridge Clark, see supra.


[handwritten note (Negro-NBCofUSA Inc
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church (African-American), 1936-- 2 miles southeast of Old Town, on Blackjack Ridge, Dixie County.
Constituted 1936. Services in Magnolia A.M.E. Church until an unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type frame building erected 1937.
First settled pastor, Rev. J. F. Myles, 1936.  Common school educations. Present pastor, Rev. E. L. Robinson, 1938--, Perry
LEDGER (Minute Book), 1936--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of all business meetings, membership roll, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, Willie B.Allen, Old Town.


Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church (White), c1875-c1918. Defunct. 1 mile northwest of Fletcher, Dixie County.
Constituted c 1875. First services in log house, last site, until a white, Meeting-hall type, wooden building erected 1890, destroyed by storm 1896, then rebuilt.  First settled pastor, Rev. Lee, tenure and education unknown.  Last pastor, Rev. J. P. Abbott, tenure and education unknown.
(QUARTERLY CONFERENCE RECORDS), 1905-08. Showing minutes of quarterly conferences and business meetings, membership roll; receipts and disbursements.


Rock Sink Baptist Church(White), 1875--. 1 miles north of Fletcher, Dixie County.
Constituted 1875, incorporated 1905.  First services in log school house at the "Sink" until 1882, mile east of present site upon which is now erected a white, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame building with front porch, and dedicatd 1902; additions 1924; remodelled 1925.  A quarter time church, meeting on 3rd Sunday.  Present membership, 1929. Active organizations, Sunday School, Women's Missionary Union with 3 auxiliaries.  First settled pastor, Rev. D. W. Ward, 1875-79.  Present pastor, Rev. I. L. Harber, 1938--, Mayo
PERFECT CHURCH RECORD, 1922-1935, 1 vol. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, 1935--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, reports, receipts and disbursements.  Custody of Mr. W. R. Fletcher, Fletcher, Fla.


Salt Creek Baptist Church, (White),  1937--, 1 mile from fishing camp near Demory Hill, Dixie County.
Constituted 1937.  Services under large unpainted, rectangular, palmetto thatched building.  Present membership, 41. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's missionary Union with 2 auxiliaries.  First settled pastor, Rev. W. L. Branch, 1937-38. Present pastor, Rev. Herbert Carroll, 1939--, Demory Hill; West sVirginia Weselyan College, Rockhannon, West Virginia. 
(RECORD OF SALT CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH), 1939--. 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, reports, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, Miss Arlene Carter, Demory Hill.
*SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, February 1939--, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, teachers, officers, collections and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Gene Davis, Demory Hill.


Scrubb Creek Baptist Church, (White) , Aug. 27, 1897--, 5 miles northeast of Cross City on community road, Dixie County.
Constituted Aug 27, 1987. Services in school house, 1 miles east of present white, rectangular, Meeting-house type, fram building, erected and dedicated c1926.  A quarter time church,


[handwritten note (Negro-NBC of USA, Inc
Second Baptist Church (African American), 1934-1936. Defunct. *Bethelo Baptist Church, New bethel Baptist Church), Cross City, Dixie County.
Constituted 1934.  Services in home of Lee Elliot until an unpainted, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame building erected and dedicated 1935.
First settled, and only, pastor, Rev. I.  A. Allen, 1934-1936. Chiefland.
LEDGER *Record of 2nd Baptish Church), 1934-35. 1 vol. Showing minutes of business and conference meetings, membership roll; receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, Carl King.


[handwritten note (Negro- NBC of USA, Inc.)
Shamrock Baptist Church,(African-American) 1920--, Church St., Shamrock, Dixie County.
Constituted 1920.  Services in frame building, also used by A. M. E. Church, until 1927, then in building also used as a 'juke' until present, white, Meeting-house type, frame building, with belfry, erected and dedicated 1927.
First settled pastor, Rev. J. C. Jackson, 1920-1925. Common school education.  Present pastor, Rev. R. P. Pointer, 1931--, Newberry.
LEDGER (Church Record),1925--, 5 vols. Showng minutes of conference and business meetings, membership roll, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Lulu Hamilton,
LEDGER (Register and Finance), 1931--, 2 vols. Showing minutes of business meetings, membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of secretary Lulu Hamilton, see supra.
JOURNAL (Treasurer's Book), 1933--, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Lulu Hamilton see supra.
ORDER BOOK (Treasurer's Quarterly reports), 1934. 1 vol. Showing quarterly reports, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Lyly Hamilton, see supra.
BOYD'S NATIONAL BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL MINUTE AND ROLL BOOK, 1939--, 1 vol. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, collections. Custody of secretary, Maria Bennett, Shamrock
LEDGER (Baptist Young People Union Record), 1937--, 2 vols. Showing programs, attendance, collections. Custody of secretary, Hattie McLendon, Shamrock
WRITE RIGHT (Baptist Young People's Union Class Book_, 1937--, 1 vol. Showing roll of seven classes, with collections, attendance. Custody of secretary, Hattie McLendon, Shamrock
LEDGER (Home Mission Society Records), 1934--, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, members, officiers, receipts and disbursements. Custody of Gracie Smith, Shamrock.


Summerville Advent Christian Church,(White) c1908-1932, Defunct. 6 miles east of Cross City, 1/8 mile south of Road #19, near Eugene section, Dixie County.
Constitsuted c1908.  Services in dwelling, near school, until a white, rectangular frame school building held first services 1908.  First settled pastor, Rev. Frank Bennett, c1908-1912. Common School Education.  Last pastor, Rev. George Green, 1927-1932, High Springs.


Summerville Baptist Church, (White), c1870-c1896. Defunct. 7 miles southeast Cross City on Highway 19, Dixie County.
Constituted 1870. Services in Summerville log school house then present unpainted, rectangular, frame building erected c 1885; blown down 1896.  Earliest known pastor, Rev. Dave Ward, c1870-c1880. Last pastor, Rev. J. F. Holmes, 1892-96, Corss City, Fla.


[hand written note added- General Council of Assemblies of God]
The First Assembly of God (White) at Cross City, 1935--,  Cross City, Dixie County.
Constituted Sept. 27, 1935. Services in an unpainted, rectangular, Meetinghouse type, frame building erected and dedicated 1935.
First settled pastor, Rev. W. B. Johnson 1935-36. Common school education. Present pastor,. Rev. W. M. Reedy, 1938--, Cross City.
(CHURCH RECORD), Title Varies: KING COMPOSITION BOOK, 1935-1937; IRONCLAD, 1938--. 2 vols Showing minutes of conferences and all business meetings, membership roll; receipts and disbursements. 1935--, 2 vols. Custody of Mrs. Lizzie Long, Cross City.
SUDAY SCHOOL RECORD FOR SECRETARIES AND TREASURERS, 1935--, 3 vols. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, collections. 1938, 1 vol. , custody of  W. E. Blankenship, Shamrock; 1939--, 1 vol. custody of Mrs. Louise Smith, Shamrock.
BLUE HORSE NOTEBOOK (Christ's Ambassadors Record), 1939--., 1 vol., showing members, attendance, minutes of business meetings, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Mrs. W. M. Ready, Shamrock.


[handwirtten note (Church of God)
The Church of God, (White), 1925--, Cross City, Dixie County
Constituted 1925, and services, in tent until a white, rectangular, Meeting-house type, frame structure erected and dedicated 1925, remodelled and additions 1939.
First settled pastor, Rev. J. M. Baldree, 1925-1927.  Church of God Bible School, Sevierville, Tennessee.  Present pastor, Rev. A. V. Howell, 1938--, Cross City.


[handwritten (Negro-Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ)
The Triumph Church (African-American) 1933--, Cross City, Dixie County.
Constituted 1933.  Services until 1934 in frame house, Putnam Lumber Mill quarters, then homes until an unpainted, rectangular Meeting-house type, frame building erected and dedicated 1935.
First settled pastor, Rev. N. P. Carter, 1933-34. Common school education.  Present pastor, Rev. E. D. Sthreets (sic) 1937--, Cross City
VERNOUS BOOKS (Church Records), 1933, 34, 37--, 1 vol. Showing minutes of business meetings, membership roll, receipts and disbursements.
IRONCLAD (Treasurer's Report), 1938--, 1 vol. Showing minutes, membership roll, collections.
JOURNAL (Record of School of Wisdom), 1937--, 2 vols.  Showing order of service, officers, collections.


Twin City Methodist Episcopal Church, (White),  1910-1917, 1921--(Cross City Methodist Church  [offDixie Mission], Cross City, Dixie County.

Constituted 1910, sponsored by Old Twon (Town) Church. First services in small school, near pesent court house, and Baptist building, near cemetery, until 1917.  then in Masonic Hall and tent until 1922, then new fram building, near Bradshaw Garage until present gray, rectangular, Meeting-hall type, stucco building, with basement, separate Sunday School rooms, and pastorium, erected 1928, dedicated and additions 1937.

First settled pastor, Rev. J. P Gaines, 1924-unknown. Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky.  Present pastor, Rev. E. C. Wilson, June 18, 1939000, Cross City; Millikin University, Decatur, Illinois, Florida Southern College, Lakeland.  See historical sketch, "Twin City M. E> Church," 1910-1939, by Mrs. E. F. Fisher.

(QUARTERLY CONFERENCE RECORDS), 1922-- 4 vols. showing minutes of quarterly conferences, mintues of business meetings, reports of pastors, stewards, trustees; membership roll, receipts and disbursementns.
(TREASURERS RECORD), 1922--, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer M. A. Dyal, Cross City.
GENERAL*SECRETARY*TREASURER'S BOOK (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), 1933--, 6 vols.
Showing pupils, teachers, officers, attendance, visitors, minutes of business meetings, collections and disbursements.
(WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY RECORDS), 1924-- 3 vols (Loose leaf note books), Showing minutes of business meetings, members, officers, receipts and disbursements.
BLUE HORSE NOTEBOOK(Minures of Circle Meetings), 1938--,1 vol. Showing members, leaders, attendance, programs, collections and disbursements.


Transcribed by Fran Smith, November 13, 2012  








 
All Rights Reserved Disclaimer notice: The FL-GenWeb Project is a Non-Commercial, All-Volunteer Organization and is not connected in any way with USGenWeb, Inc.